Friday 7 October 2011

Carved By Light

  CARVED BY LIGHT

"A sailor lost at sea can be guided home by a single candle. A person lost in a wood can be led to safety by a flickering flame. It is not an issue of quality or intensity or purity. It is simply an issue of the presence of light." Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace: Living in the Spirit of the Prayer of Saint Francis by Kent Nerburn

 I absolutely love these words, my very beautiful friend Marg, reminded me of St Francis' prayer a couple of years ago and then my precious friend Joss gave me this book to read just recently! serendipity:  It made me remember a few years ago when my life was so completely tangled and sad and stressful, I truly felt lost, letting go of the past was such a frightening prospect. I don't quite know how it came to me, I think it was a news coverage of the devastating bush fires in Victoria, near Melbourne 2009, I was so heartbroken for all the people who were affected, who lost lives, loved ones, homes, their whole world! how could I be feeling sorry for myself? it certainly made my problems minuscule in comparison. As it unfolded, the news also covered the stories of courage, hope, and community compassion, strangers helping one another, in fact the whole country of Australia, were giving whatever they could to help! It made me proud.
It also made me think for a minute, 'one tiny flame the size of a single candle, can ignite thousands of acres of powerful bushfires'... and in response, the compassion spread the same way really. It only takes one single act of kindness, no matter how small, even if all you have to give someone who is in a state of despair having lost loved ones, is a hug? then that is more powerful than a giving them a bar of gold.


Music to me, is like a light, it draws us to it, like a moth to a flame and like the mice in the story of the 'Pied Piper'. Then it ignites an enormous amount of emotion and joy, hope and warmth in our hearts. The doors of memories are flung wide open and even opens our hearts to the people around us, bonds us to them, even strangers. we feel our 'common-ness'. It spreads; like wildfire.

So as Kent Nerburn says in the opening of his beautiful book.

"We are not saints, we are not heroes. Our lives are lived in the quiet corners of the ordinary. We build tiny hearth fires, sometimes barely strong enough to give off warmth. But to the person lost in the darkness, our tiny flame may be the road to safety, the path to salvation."

When  Octavia dreams, she dreams of a light that shines in everyone, no matter what their journey or where they are... and that light is always enough to guide someone home. Whether they realise it or not, because I believe we are all, each of us Carved By Light



Here from the wells of  Octavia's Dream, is CARVED BY LIGHT

and please watch - Light in action 

1 comment:

  1. Have a WONDERFUL day Lissa..
    Flowers to you
    Dave

    ReplyDelete

OCTAVIA

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9206395